District 14: Associates' Rehearsal 4
| Documentation by Syarifuddin Sahari |
7:30pm - 9:30pm, Geylang Serai
Haizad started off the rehearsal by sharing about the flow and workflow, being a procession of sorts and having a flow of events, and how it is a site-specific work which is not a dance film where there is no prior videography planning before the actual recording/s.
The associates then proceeded to warm up via Last Breath. They were invited to find their own space (within the area, while considering their safety) and to sense each other’s collective energies. There were “accidental audience” as they passed by or from the nearby crosswalk. It could have been a way for the associates to acclimatise themselves to the air and environment around Geylang, as it was the first rehearsal after a few site recces. They were to also fill up the nooks and crannies in the area (perhaps to also fulfil the safe distancing requirements?). Afterwards, there was a briefing for the next segment of the rehearsal before shifting to the Haig Road Food Centre area.
The next segment was to carry out a form of Imitasi around the area, this time while keeping a few points in mind:
- To immerse in the space.
- To imitate the surroundings and the friends / “friends” in it.
- To (try to) assimilate while being a foreign body in the space.
- There are more passers-by compared to the previous area.
- There are more shadows at night / more contentions between light and shadows at night.
- To blend in but be an anomaly.
- Free to wander off as a collective or individually.
- To take their time for momentum.
Observations and thoughts from the task:
- Syimah balanced on the lines on the floor, before Valerie joined in.
- Valerie sat and watched / observed what was around her.
- Jonit was mostly walking around.
- Sonia was walking around and occasionally sat down to rest / observe.
- Ismail smoked a cigarette