Rehearsal 4, 10 February 2020
2pm – 6pm
Rumah P7:1SMA & Stamford Arts Centre Black Box
The song list has been finalised to 15, and the collaborators worked on the UK segment of the performance. The segment is in a tableau format, where they will slowly come together to replicate historic scenes from the arrival of the British. For now, they took cues from a small whiteboard which states the sequence of moments to portray.
In the last scene they are portraying, which included a photo being taken, the collaborators highlighted that in the past, the subjects had expressionless faces and did not smile, even if it was a happy and momentous occasion. After which, Haizad informed the collaborators of the finalised song list as well as the props and structure in each segment.
At this point, the sequence and structure of songs is:
1) Samudera: Empty, with only the song playing in the background.
2) Scan: The collaborators will come in with their containers which contain their props.
3) UK: Tableau format.
4) New Boyz: Still in a draft; mainly taking inspiration from Kung Fu Hustle, People’s Action Party, morning workout, possibly in an imitasi format.
5) Umbrella: Malay folk dance with umbrellas.
6) Medicine: Bomoh, nasi kangkang: squirting of menstrual blood into rice, corpse coming to life, each collaborator trying to put spells on each other.
7) Slam: A game, where the loser will get hit using pillows.
8) Spoon: Cooking and consuming instant noodles, using a silver spoon.
9) Search: Contemporary dance piece, with a bit of lyrical.
10) Exist: Sitting in the center of the stage, longing, missing.
11) Alleycats: Drug addicts and the portrayal of different effects.
12) Screen: Still to be decided.
13) Iklim: Holding water in their mouths, each building up in intensity with a movement from Malay folk dance.
14) Fotograf: Lying down as slides of photos play overhead.
15) Bumi Putera Rockers: European curtain call.
The collaborators then went down to the black box at level 2 for their site recce as well as some preliminary stage blocking. The space is a lot bigger t